Wednesday, May 29, 2013

WPX, ARCI Hoot Owl Sprint and MI QRP Memorial Day Sprint

Thumbs up to MI QRP Club....
MI QRP Club

What a nice friendly contest!!!   I will put this club's contests on my list for 4th of July, and Labor Day...nice group!!!  Nice way to end Memorial Day weekend.

The ARCI Hoot Owl Sprint was a disaster for me....with the WPX going on and taking up the entire real estate spectrum of the QRP band I couldn't find anyone calling for the contest..wish there was a way qrp frequencies could be accepted and respected.   I will continue to refuse to call a station who is obviously running qro in the qrp calling frequency..why can't  qrp'ers have their tiny space???

Memorial Day in New England turned out to be really bad, rain and seasonally cold so I did put in a small effort in the WPX contest.  My initial plan was to do the ARCI Hoot Owl Sprint on Saturday evening and the MI QRP Memorial Day Sprint on Monday evening but with the bad weather family plans changed and I had a bit more free time than expected.  

Conditions were really good on Friday night for the WPX but I was really tired and just couldn't stay up...by about 9:00 I was starting to fade...wow I'm really getting to be an old fart :(    When I woke up Saturday morning, I did the family thing, made bacon and eggs for hubby, called my 94 year old dad and had my usual 1 hour daily chat then took care of some household chores and made it back on the radio by early afternoon..yikes conditions had changed.   (This seems to be a reoccurring lesson I fail to learn...and I'll bang it in my head again, "take advantage of conditions when they are good..that's what coffee is for").



Sunday the weather started to get better so I wasn't on the radio for a good part of the day and conditions seemed a lot better than Saturday, 5W into EU was working better.  

I was really pleasantly surprised with the amount of  participation in the MI QRP Memorial Day Sprint.  I was only able to put in about an hour and a half but it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment